- Recruited six new Board Members from the building and construction, financial, entertainment, publishing and insurance industries.
- Balanced the 2011 budget.
- Reinforced relationship with local Community Board and reaffirmed the charity’s civic responsibility to the active interest in the well-being of our community and gain additional visibility within our community.
- Launched a Hospital Outreach program which offers three distinct services to the House community as well as the New York City community at-large.
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors and many wonderful volunteers, the efforts of the Development Office produced a $2.3 million dollar surplus of income over the budgeted income targets. This year’s campaign saw record years in the Annual Gala, Skate with the Greats, Direct Mail Appeal, Celebrity Golf and the Make A Difference Evening.
- The 2012 Annual Gala, which was emceed by broadcast legend Barbara Walters, raised $3.5 million dollars; exceeding the target goal by $1 million.
- The Major Gift Program successfully launched the Adopt-the-House Project with nine rooms named raising more than $665,000.
- Established the Team Ronald Triathlon team, which raised more than $165,000.
- Introduced the Board of Associates’ first major event, “Masquerade,” which more than 300 attendees and raised more than $350,000.
- Greek Division grew to hold its largest events and almost doubling their gifts to help our special kids and families.
- Management Comments - Addressed all five management comments from the 2011 Audit by 2012 Audit Fieldwork. No open issues carried over to 2013 from prior years.
- Internal Control Improvement – Led initiatives with various departments to address conflict of interest policy improvements, data & portable storage security and internet content filtering and capital expenditure review process.
- Better Business Bureau – Maintained Better Business Bureau’s charity seal requirements through May 2014.
- Annual Financial Functions – Completed annual audit on schedule to have the draft audit report available at the April Board meeting for approval. Prepared 2012 Budget to meet Finance Committee and Board Meeting deadlines. Filed 33 out of state tax returns to meet compliance deadlines.
- Board Committee Meeting Structure - Planned and prepared materials for 11 Committee Meetings throughout 2012 – 2 Audit Committee, 5 Finance and 4 Investment Committee. Worked with Operations and HR to initiate new Capital Review Committee and IT Steering Committee.
- Volunteer Giving Initiative – Worked with the Volunteer department to increase volunteer awareness of corporate matching gift and volunteer grant programs.
- Fundraising - Received third NYC grant from City Council member Jessica Lappin - $4,000 and managed the relationship for a new donor/partner $8,000 fundraiser.
- Vendor & Airline Rewards Programs – Saved approximately $9,900 in office supplies, express mail discounts and airline tickets through Vendor and Airline discount & rewards programs.
- Donor Data Management – Significantly reduced financial data entry into donor database to insure up to date information for events, donations, etc., by using direct entry capabilities.
- Street Banner Advertising & Awareness – Initiated Street Banner project to increase awareness for RMH-NY and our annual Share A Night Holiday Program.
Human Resources/Volunteer Development
- Family Support: Held first ever and soon to be annual “Family Fun Dog Walk” fundraising event held August 18th in Riverside Park, NY. The event raised $5,000.
- Family Support: Hosted His Eminence, Timothy Cardinal Dolan who celebrated Christmas Eve Vigil Mass in the Macy’s Living Room for Ronald McDonald House families, staff & invited guests.
- Family Support: As part of our new Hospital Outreach Initiative, the Family Support department provided in-patient support & wellness Care to resident caregivers at the bedside of hospitalized patients.
- Volunteer Initiatives: Established a new monthly email newsletter for volunteers, “The Ronald Report,” with a distribution of 450 volunteers highlighting activities, House updates and upcoming events.
- Youth Volunteer Initiatives: Established the Youth Advisory Council comprised of teenagers eager to get involved in volunteerism and philanthropy. This group held numerous fundraisers which resulted in more than $4,000 raised to support a spectacular fun filled field trip to Chelsea Piers for our teenage residents. Also established a formal internship program, placing eight interns in House Departments.
- Volunteer Initiatives: Corporate volunteer groups performed more than 9,649 hours of service to the House.
- Human Resources: Partnered with the Yonkers Fire Department to certify 42 volunteers and staff members in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Trainings. Also conducted five pediatric cancer training seminars with 95 volunteer and staff attendees in partnership with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- Fundraising: Coordinated seven fundraising events including Team Ronald’s “Open Arms,” The Parlour, Sessions 73 Poker Night, Westchester Jets Night, Share A Night and the 4th Annual Maritime Event utilizing the resources of the volunteer corps to raise over $725,000. Secured three foundation grants totaling $100,000 and conducted annual staff giving appeal for 2013 raising $39,516 with 100% participation. Also increased volunteer participation in the Matching Gifts program.
- Worked with 141 different community groups in 2012 to host 350 dinners six to seven times per week. 14 community groups doing regular monthly dinners / 6 community groups doing regular quarterly dinners as well as special dinners and activities on all holidays - Easter, Thanksgiving Christmas, etc. House trips include - teen trips to billiards and restaurants - once a quarter as well as House trips to central park, ice skating, bowling , summer camp trips, 6 flags, fire island, Dorney Park Bi-monthly dinner/community group orientations - First Tuesday of every other month.
- In addition to the composition and presentation of an original song at our 20th annual Gala by its founder, Broadway Inspirational Voices composed six songs based on six resident families’ stories, which was performed during a concert for over 150 RMH family members, RMH staff, NYU students and Broadway actors/singers. The concert was skyped into 2 hospitals for families who could not attend in person.
- Famed actor, singer, and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame legend Darlene Love performed a concert at the Bohemian Lounge for RMH families. 100% of the proceeds were given to the House. This concert has set the ground work for the new RMH Music Concert Series.
- For its component of the Hospital Outreach Program, the Programs Department developed and implemented special on-site programs at partner hospitals: Musical Magic, a NEW music program led by Dr. Sherrie Maricle, and M3 - Martial Arts, Meditation and Motivation, a NEW karate program led by Angela Babin. Three special events/activities were also provided: Welcome NY – A Celebration of Friends, Welcome Back to Fall, and Halloween Boo Bash at 583 Park Avenue.
- Camp Ronald – 86 registered campers, a total of 19 special event days including 16 trips to offsite locations (Country Clubs, kayaking, amusement parks, etc.) and 3 in-House events (Christmas in July, IPG Fair, and Fat Tuesday).
- Press Crew – the Press Crew newsletter received much attention in 2012. Close work with the communications department of Ronald McDonald House Charities (Global) helped produced a Press Crew wraparound for USA Today which was distributed to all attendees of the biannual International McDonalds owner/operator conference in Chicago. This special Press Crew project included an interview with the Chairman of the Board of RMHC Global, Linda Dunham.
- Managed the renovation and construction of 38 Guest Rooms. Selected all materials lighting, wood, flooring, paint, tiles and finishes. Designed furniture and worked manufacture to create concepts. Monitored deliveries to coincide with the completion of construction and renovation of each floor. Orchestrate and supervised the removal and the repurposing of all existing guest room furniture to other non-profit organizations.
- Provide leadership for the “Parents Pantry Program Reception,” coordinating evening events in which over 30 schools attended and over 20 schools signed up for the 2012-2013 calendar school year. Through the program, we were able to secure donations of oversized bags to help transport donated food items for resident families. Worked throughout the year on coordinating the delivery and the pick-up of donations. Developed the “Parents Pantry Shopping List” for guests to complete when requesting supplies.
- Provided direction for Hospital Outreach “Navigation” program. Conceptualized and implemented the process of accompanying first-time guests to their medical appointments. Created a welcome bag containing items relevant to their stay. Worked with graphic designer on the creation of a Medical Journal. Branded items to help support the program.
- Worked with architect and construction team on the Local Law 11 project, where work began in spring 2012 and was completed ahead of schedule by August 2012.
- Spearheaded committee that reviewed the RMHC standards in conjunction with our existing House policies and procedures. Integrated the two documents into one to ensure that we are in compliance with all RMHC standards as required by January 2013.
- Application to New York Council Members Jessica Lappin and Christine Quinn submitted to request Programmatic funding from NYC Department of Youth & Community Development Program. Resulted in a $4,000 award to Ronald McDonald House New York for the 2012-2013 City Budget year.
- IT/Security: Shoretel PBX phone system was installed with new staff and guest phones replacing the aging existing phone system. A new electronic lock system, Vingcard, was installed as well as Vingcard safes for our guests to safeguard their valuables during their stay in-House. A wireless internet system by Innflux was installed offering better coverage and faster internet access along with 24x7 customer service for the convenience and comfort of our guests.